TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:28 pm 

im from tulsa, and i last lived in oklahoma out by keystone lake

when i frequented the yards there, there were tons of 89-94 hatchbacks

now most of them are gone and the only thing i seem to see here are the last body style cars and 89-94 convertibles.

seem's like, being in florida, the old people that drove the verts kept them as long as they could, but now they are all ending up at salvage. i hardly ever go and not find at least one

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:42 pm 

Me again

I have taken this apart and cut coils so many times now I think stating what's left is easiest.

I took the rear apart this morning, cut another half coil off, and removed and lubed all of my poly bushes.

I also hand filed the tabs off the kyb's and filed a new groove into the body exactly 2" up from the stock one.

What I have now in the rear is a 2000 Chevy metro sedan 4cyl auto trans spring that has 5 1/2 coils remaining. I made all the cuts on the bottom or big end. The spring still fit just fine even though it's getting smaller in diameter.

I think it's worth telling.... I have a 12" spare in the trunk, the stock jack and lug wrench, a blackjack tire plug kit, and a big can of fix a flat. On top of the carpet, I have a huge dual ten band pass box with the plexi window, and 2 6x9 boxes with 4 way pioneers. The speakers are @ 125 pounds.

The kyb's are now low enough to keep the springs captive, and just a tad preloaded. If you jack the car up and let the suspension fully droop, you can just wiggle the spring but it will not twist or come out.

This is a 15x6.5 with 195/50 tire

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 472.82 KIB | Viewed 2561 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:13 pm 

after several set ups on SEDAN rear suspension i finally got it

rear suspension with gti springs , just cut half coil in gti springs ,and got a set of honda EK springs, they fit inside the stock springs
it´s stiffer and no more rear on the loose, just cut honda springs the same heigth as your sedan springs
i´ll take some pics and post them

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:34 pm 

H&R Swift springs and KYB worked great on 1.0 convertable. Rear was too low, but an Advance Auto Supply thick rubber spring spacer was cut into two halves w/ 4.5" metal cutoff wheel. Put a half under each rear spring. About 3/4" lower all around than stock. A transformed car resulted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:03 pm 

What if i cut a whole coil off of 94 springs, i know they are not as stiff but what is the chance of tire rub and all?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:43 am 

I have had apex 35 mm, i found them to lower the car even more than the Vogtlands 40mm i have now. The problem is i have 185 55 14 tires on stock wheels and 20mm spacers at the back and the springs are way too soft. If i sit 1 person at the back even on small holes it will rub. I want to keep it with the spacers, just wanted some opinion on what springs should i buy with a higher spring rate

Thanks in advance

Edit: I have konis at the back with 1 full turn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:14 am 

H&R Swift springs and KYB worked great on 1.0 convertible. Spring rate is terrific- stiff. Rear was too low ON CONVERTIBLE, but an Advance Auto Supply thick rubber spring spacer was cut into two halves w/ 4.5" metal cutoff wheel. Put a half under each rear spring. About 3/4" lower all around than stock. A transformed car resulted. I suggest H&R Swift springs.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:21 am 

I use 15" Suzuki Reno wheels with Toyo Extensa 195/50 tires. This size fits and is right on a lowered car. Wheels fit directly onto a Metro.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:18 pm 
Suzuki Elder

i have to take exception to the statement that suzuki reno wheels fit directly onto metro/ swift hubs.

i used the 15" reno wheels on one of my verts some years back and while the lug spacing is correct, the hub diameter on the variants is much larger than the center bore of the rims.

i had to have the center bores of the aluminum reno rims machined to fit concentrically with the gt hubs i used. there's a good 15 or 20 mm difference.

My Turbo3 Project
My Cardomain Page -Ol' Blue
My YouTube Channel
My Photo Gallery
SAAB Sonett II

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 pm 

All true!! I forgot about the trip to my pal's shop and the milling of the centers. That aside, Reno wheels/Toyos are a huge upgrade.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:55 pm 

Haha.....never try to sneak one past the master...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:51 pm 

Thanks!
Has someone had H&R and another springs that is able to point out some main diferences between them?

Is it normal that the back lowers quite a lot when we put weight (2/3 people at the back)?

Would be awesome if someone is willing to measure how much 1 person sitting at the trunk (around 70kg more or less) lowers the back of the car. I measured mine from the ground to the rear arch and i think it is lowering too much but it might just be me overthinking about it

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:53 pm 

Scrolled all through this thread and couldn't find a mk1 with cut springs... I was thinking of cutting off 3/4 of a coil on an 87 turbo, bad idea? Was probably gonna run 185/55R14s under it (just under an inch taller than stock)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9