TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:02 am

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm 

RockAuto, Advance and I guess others quote an "Interference Engine" for some of the belts.

RockAuto is notorious for doing stuff like putting all the air cleaners for all the various engines or a model in each of the specific engine types so if you order from the right engine listing, you get the wrong part.

I'd like to understand what's going on so I order the right. (Could they be using a Suzuki listing which has G10 and G13 engines for that year???)

And does anyone make a superior belt? like Kevlar? maybe the experimental aviation applications?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:16 am 

Non interference. I can send you a video of a cut up g10 that can be rotated while watching valves. I extend the valve to the fully open position and crank the rotating assemble and you've got plenty of room before you'd have an interference(even if you managed to float a valve as your belt breaks). Once you put oversized intake and exaust with a performance ground cam it gets close but still not interference. Vitera pistons I've heard in combination with larger exaust valves and a 3tech cam create interference. I would buy the cheapo belt and replace at scheduled intervals. If you go Kevlar or some fancy thing which probably isn't in production you'd likely get your belt to outlive your idler/tensioner and if that goes before the belt it's gonna make one hell of a mess. Cheap works :mrgreen: You probably already know this but if you're replacing the belt buy the kit with the idler if that idler fails oh man :shock: .

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:12 am 

I'm looking at the Kit w/Seals on RA:

It's the Dayco 95095K1S for the "Interference" engine which includes the

* 95095 Belt
* 85182 Tensioner
* SK0066 Seal Kit

On Advance Auto's site, there is no mention of this pesky "Interference" engine variant.

So I'm guessing it's a RA listing error.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:07 pm 

Ah, doubting Thomas:

http://geometroforum.com/topic/8120446/1/?x=90#new

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:47 pm 

They don't know either.

But all this "interference" talk is about rebuilding engines with aftermarket pistons. That should not show up in parts stores databases or dealers' for that matter.

Again, probably a RA error again.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:59 pm 

I put that dayco kit on my turbo project it fits and as far as my assembly clay went I'm not interference. I bought just a belt for my n/a I think it's omni or some off brand because I like to daily drive on the edge. :lol: It may just be me but I didn't see any reference to interference on RA. Although I know on the turbo model their distributer caps can be WRONG. Note that I do order my parts off my smart phone maybe I'm missing parts of their description on the belt kits.

1978 Chevy monza 2+2, 74 step side Chevy, firebird,firebird,fake 91 firehawk in the making,trans am(dd),other trans am, n/a mk1 sprint, and my baby 1987 Chevy sprint turbo in red. How many run right now? Just the n/a sprint. It's not a collection it's my retirement plan.