TeamSwift

Home of the Suzuki mini-compacts ! Your Home for all things Suzuki Swift, Geo Metro, Holden Barina, Chevy Sprint, Pontiac Firefly, and Suzuki Cultus. TeamSwift is a technical performance oriented community!
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Underbody braces, turbos and more!

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:14 pm 
smart@ss

This is just a part of this thread, all credit goes to Jess/Jardamuth

There is several ways to install an oil cooler on a swift. The most efficient is to have the entire oil volume from the pump output to be cooled before entering the engine again. Be carefull when you choose a oil cooler because most tranny coolers have 5/16" I.D lines wich create restriction. A good oil cooler must have lines with a inner diameter of 3/8" at the least or else you engine will seriously be starving oil at top revs. I think Baldurg explained a method to do a external oil filter system without filter adaptor. You need to remove the pump cover and tap 1/4npt threads inside the main oil line to block it completely. Then you take te pressure from a 1/4npt plug that sit on the pump cover. You send the pressure in the filter and your cooler before sending it back in the middle of the stock filter seat, just like I did.
1- Pump housing-pressure output.
2- Internal oil line feeding the filter - It's the one that need to be blocked.
3- Pressure line - Once the internal line is blocked, 100% of the engine blood coming from the heart (oil pump)will be flowing through.
4- One-way valve - keep the backpressure from the oil cycler to go back to the engine, it redirect the flow toward the turbo instead.
5- Turbo feed line.
6- Oil cycler line - fill the cycler when engine is running - fill the turbo will fresh oil when engine is stopped - duration time 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
7- Turbo's return oil line to the pan.
8- Hydraulical external filter mount - Allow the use of much bigger, free-flowing 10 microns filters.
9- Filter mount pressure output - Either direct the flow back to the engine or in this case, toward the cooler.
10- Oil return line - Fresh, cooled oil is sent back into the engine, thus reducing crank, rods and other internals temperature.

Here is an aftermarket cooler I installed in front of the lower section of the rad. Work very well and does not create any restriction at all.
As you can see I used high-pressure, industrial hoses with cheaps clamps and it's 100% safe. Just make sure they are well thightened and check them often.
For those who don't want to remove the pump cover to block the inner line, yes you can have a filter adaptor with fittings. This adaptor work well with turbo setup as it allow you to install equal lenght runner manifold with the turbo closer to the block. Also a must-have for those with A/C planning to make a turbo conversion.
Hope it help.

Again, the write up and pics are courtesy of Jess/Jardamuth

http://sierraclub.com/exxposeexxon